Salmon and Avocado; A fresh and delectable combination
The fresh and delicious flavors of salmon and avocados are a delectable combination. I have gathered a few of my finest recipes using these two ingredients to prepare for an upcoming event and thankfully a couple of these will do nicely for Super Bowl weekend as well.
The first is a fantastic recipe on the site of Olivedelmondo.com. This makes approx 30 appetizers
Wild Smoked Salmon & Avocado Crostini with Olio Nuovo Favolosa
- 1 fresh, sweet baguette, sliced in to 1/2″ slices on the diagonal
- 12 oz. thinly sliced wild smoked salmon
- 3 ripe avocados, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 large garlic cloves cut in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup +2 tablespoons Olio Nuovo Favolosa Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Whisk two tablespoon of lemon juice with 1/3 cup of olive oil and sea salt in a small bowl. Add the thinly sliced onions and toss to coat and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium or heat a grill pan on the stove top over medium-high heat. With a pastry brush, lightly brush both sides of each slice of bread with the Favolosa. Place the bread on the grill and toast until light golden brown and grill marks appear, flipping once during the process (take care not to burn the bread).
- While the bread is still very warm, rub the cut garlic clove over both sides of the bread slice. Allow the bread to cool completely, then begin layering by adding a slice of avocado. Brush the sliced avocado with a small amount of the onion-lemon-olive oil mixture, and a grind of fresh pepper. Add the smoked salmon, and top with a few slices of marinated onions and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately OlivedelMondo.com
This next addition is as beautiful as it is delicious. I am pulling this from Simply Recipes, so at the end of this post, follow the link to the full recipe.
Pan Seared Salmon with Avocado Remoulade ~ It is a quick dish, taking only about 20 minutes to prepare, serves four and has a very basic shopping list; avocados, lime juice, olive oil, shallots, parsley, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper, salmon fillets and grapeseed oil. Full recipe here.
It’s a bit chilly here to pull out the grill, although I know die hard grilling fans that brave the rain and chilled temps, kudos to you, and I do know some of you are basking in warmer climates and your grill is ready to use. There is a little heat in the salsa, the colors are gorgeous and the flavors are fresh.
Grilled Salmon and Avocado Salsa
- 2 lbs salmon, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 mild hot peppers, seeded and deveined, diced or sliced
- Juice from 2 limes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Mix the salt, coriander, cumin, paprika, onion and black pepper together, rub the salmon fillets with olive oil and this seasoning mix, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Combine the avocado, onion, hot peppers, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt in a bowl and mix well, chill until ready to use.
- Grill the salmon to desired doneness.
- Serve the salmon topped with the avocado salsa, and with rice and patacones or thick green plantain chips on the side.
Visit FreshAvocados.com for more delicious recipes.