Warm up chilly nights with Orange Mulled Whiskey Cider
Now that the air is cool and crisp, we enjoy welcoming colder temperatures with toasty beverages to chase away the chill. Nielsen Massey Vanilla’s Pure Orange Extract adds a zesty twist to classic hot beverage recipes. Pure Orange Extract’s bright citrus flavor lightly balances the luxurious depth of chocolate and softly complements other citrus flavors like lemon. Warm those chilly hands this October with these pleasantly hot drink ideas and a recipe:
- Sitting by a fire or entertaining guests, Orange Mulled Whiskey Cider will warm the soul. Its spicy, cinnamon aroma will surely leave the house smelling delicious.
- Modernize the classic hot chocolate by adding Ellen’s Candied Orange Rind to the rim of your mug. Dip the candied rind into the hot chocolate for a sweet, fruity treat.
- Top your favorite hot beverages with a dollop of Whipped Cream. Use Pure Orange Extract in the whipped cream for a fresh taste that will complement cocoa, coffee or even mulled cider.
Orange Mulled Whiskey Cider
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1/2 cup 100% pure pomegranate juice
- 1/3 cup 100% pure maple syrup (adjust maple syrup if cider is already sweet)
- 1 Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Orange Extract
- 3 large cinnamon sticks
- 12 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 2/3 cup whiskey
- Add apple cider, pomegranate juice and maple syrup to a large saucepan; heat over medium-high heat. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise with the tip of a small knife. Scrape both sides of the bean with the knife’s dull side and add the seeds and bean to the saucepan.
- Add the orange extract, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries and cardamom seeds to the saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Strain mulled cider through a fine mesh sieve. Add whiskey; stir to combine. Serve with a fresh apple slice.
Pure Orange Extract
Made from the finest-quality oranges, Nielsen Massey’s refreshing and sweet Pure Orange Extract can spruce up any classic dish. This versatile extract goes well in everything from jams and fruit pies to salad dressings and desserts.