Each year as spring teases us with sprinklings of warm summer-like weather, we pull up the cook-out recipes. Planning neighborhood backyard barbecues, romantic picnics and weekend camping trips become reality, and we can’t wait to dive into outdoor foods.
Farmers markets and road side stands are beginning put out their wares, and we again have access to fresher fare than shopping at the local grocer. Fresh picnic pies are on the mind and in late spring we turn to the berry with the dusky hued jacket. Fill your dessert table with delicious blueberry recipes.
I have a fondness for a pie crust built with butter. It melts in your mouth and flakes with perfection. If you haven’t created your pie using this simple recipe yet, I suggest you give it a whirl.
There are eyes, to be sure, that give no more admission into the man than blueberries. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Simple Blueberry Pie
Oven 425ºF • Bake Time 35 – 40 Mins.
Butter Pie Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons cold water
- Combine flour and salt in bowl cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened.
- Divide dough in half; shape each half into ball. Flatten slightly. Wrap 1 ball in plastic food wrap; refrigerate.
- For 1-crust pie, roll out 1 ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; unfold dough, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan. Crimp or flute edge. Fill and bake according to pie recipe directions.
Blueberry Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Stir in blueberries and spoon or pour into prepared bottom pie crust.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over blueberries.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add evenly on top of blueberry mixture.
- Cover with top pie crust and cut vent slits. For this pie, we cut pastry strips to form a wide lattice crust.
- Cover edges of pie with foil so it doesn’t over-brown. Bake for 35-40 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove foil the last 15 minutes of baking. Cool 2 hours.