Friday’s Pair & Pour: Sauvignon Blanc with Roasted Grapes, Goat Cheese, Walnuts & Honey
Crisp, green and herby, sauvignon blanc is the perfect companion for early summer dishes.
Summer may be on the horizon but here in the pacific northwest we still have a bit of damp weather and chilly temps. In other words, a typical June. This means a lot of our entertaining is still indoors, at least until the rain gives way to July sunshine.
We enjoy an abundance of seafood here on the northwest coastline and sauvignon blanc pairs well with even the most delicate flavors.
These are simple and basic pairings ~ experiment a bit and enjoy.
Goat and mozzarella
Basil, rosemary, parsley, dill, thyme and chives.
Asparagus, artichokes, zucchini and peas.
Sole, tilapia, halibut and sea bass
Lobster, clams, mussels, scallop, oyster and crab.
Roasted Grapes, Goat Cheese, Walnuts & Honey
- 12 slices of bread, baguette or crostini
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chop 1 sprig
- 36 – 40 any variety seedless grapes
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices goat cheese, thick
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- honey to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove stems, wash and dry grapes.
- In a small bowl, toss the grapes with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped rosemary and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Spread on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes. The grapes should just begin to “burst”.
- Toast walnuts in the oven, remove after 10 minutes and chop to desired size.
- Brush a little olive oil on the bread slices and toast in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Lay a goat cheese slice on each bread piece and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
- Gently press a few of the roasted grapes into the goat cheese and drizzle a small bit of honey over each gathering of grapes.
- Sprinkle remaining walnuts over honey and garnish with fresh rosemary.
Thank you for visiting basil & salt! We look forward to bringing you great content for the gourmet lifestyle.
As always, I am raising a glass to you.