Using a variety of vegetables all coated with Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil, these roasted winter vegetables are a perfect addition to any meal and are equally as delicious when served as a main course.
ROASTED WINTER VEGETABLES
YIELDS 6 Servings
PREP TIME 25 mins COOK TIME 25 mins
2 lbs. of mixed winter vegetables, including:
- red, golden beets or both
- butternut, acorn or delicata squash
- parsnips, carrots, small potatoes – try red or purple varieties
- 3 tbsp Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Colavita Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- ½ tsp sea salt freshly ground black pepper
Optional: for a spicy kick add a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a rimmed, metal baking sheet with parchment paper/ Prepare the vegetables: Rinse all the vegetables.
- Note: Cutting the vegetables the same width will ensure an even roasting for all vegetables. We like to achieve a ¼” thickness. Use a very sharp knife, as squash has thick skin and can be difficult to cut. For beets, remove the tops and stems. You can reserve the beet greens for salad.
- Peel the outer skin from the beets before chopping into ¼” thick slices.
For carrots and parsnips:
- Remove the tops and stems.
- Slice thick carrots lengthwise into ¼” sticks. If you are using the smaller, thinner carrots, it’s beautiful to keep them whole.
For butternut, acorn and delicata squash:
- There’s no need to peel off the skins. Roasting will soften the skin and make it delicious. Instead, remove the tops and stems.
For butternut squash:
- It’s helpful to cut in half before slicing lengthwise.
- For delicata squash, you can slice lengthwise. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Then slice them into ¼” slices. For the potatoes, cut them into ¼” chunks.
- Place the veggies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle them with the Colavita Olive Oil and sprinkle the seasonings and herbs on top.
- Using your hands, massage the oil, herbs and seasonings around all the vegetables, making sure they are all coated.
- Roast the veggies in the oven until they are lightly browned and just tender, 25-30 minutes.
- You can flip the vegetables half-way through the roasting process with a metal spatula or tongs to brown them evenly on both sides.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with Colavita Balsamic Vinegar. Give them a toss, and place them in a serving dish or bowl.
Don’t wait until the holidays are over to healthy. Join us for our pantry “declutter” week!
This week, right beside our decadent holiday fare, we are showcasing simple, healthy flavors to offset the sweet desserts and twinkling cocktails. We have partnered with Colavita for this healthy, time saving pantry declutter 101. Join us every day this week for a new recipe and new decluttering tip.
PANTRY DECLUTTER 101
To completely clean out the pantry and restock in one swoop is simply not feasible for two reasons. For most of us, finances are the first reason, and the second reason? Cravings.
If you are anything like me, foods have found their way into your pantry or cupboards that you will never eat. Pull them out and donate them to your local food bank before they find their way back to your pantry shelves.
Now that you’ve cleared and donated items you know you won’t eat, take a look at the foods that remain and create an uncomplicated list. Take note of expiry dates and separate into categories such as;
- canned, vegetables, fruits, fillings, etc.
- boxed, side dishes, desserts, etc.
- oils, shortenings, lards
- flour, sugar, yeast, etc.
This gives you an idea of what’s available for future recipes.
Start with the Basics
Tried and true staples, you know you’re getting premium Italian quality when you reach for Colavita’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar. From sautéing to baking to bread dipping, the ways to elevate your meals are endless.
All the Pasta-Bilities
No matter what the year, pasta never goes out of style. Fill your pantry with authentic Italian pastas like Colavita’s Gluten Free Spaghetti or Whole Wheat Penne Rigate and take the guesswork out of meal time.
Versatile and delicious, Colavita’s Crushed Tomatoes and Pesto Sauce are the perfect sauces to keep stocked in your pantry. The essential complement to soups, chilis, pizzas, pastas…should we keep going?