Although we are shivering in the icy, cold grip of winter, January lets the mind wander into spring. Light colors, fresh flavors and citrus are on the menu.
This is a simple cocktail for two, perfect for a chilly winter evening in front of a warm fire.
Note: Syrup can be made ahead of time, cover and chill for up to 7 days.
Sparkling Grapefruit Cocktail
- 2 large ruby red or pink grapefruit
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ounces gin
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup snipped rosemary
- 2 ounces sparkling wine
- Ruby red or pink grapefruit wedge (for serving)
- Remove zest (peel) and some of the white pith in wide strips, from one grapefruit, slice the other grapefruit with peel on, for garnish.
- Prepare your simple syrup by bringing sugar and ¼ cup water to boil in a small saucepan. Stir or swirl constantly until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add grapefruit zest and rosemary. Use a wooden spoon to push down and submerge. Steep 30 minutes and strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Combine gin, lemon juice, and ½ ounce syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice, cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds.
- Strain cocktail into an old-fashioned or rocks glass filled with ice. Top with sparkling wine and garnish with grapefruit wedge.