Add a swirl of sophistication to your holiday table with our Jingle Berry Merlot Cranberry Sauce.
This isn’t your ordinary cranberry sauce; it’s a refined blend where the tartness of fresh cranberries mingles with the deep, fruity notes of a lush Merlot. As the sauce simmers, the rich wine infuses the berries with a complex profile, crafting a side dish that complements the festive flavors of your feast. Each spoonful is like a toast to the holidays, capturing the merry spirit of the season in a harmony of taste that’s sure to elevate your celebration.
- 1 cup red wine (a fruity wine like Merlot or Zinfandel works well)
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup white sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A strip of orange zest
- A pinch of salt
- Prepare the Cranberries: If you’re using fresh cranberries, rinse them under cold water and discard any that are soft or bruised. If they’re frozen, there’s no need to thaw them first.
- Combine Ingredients: In a medium saucepan, combine the red wine, sugar, cinnamon stick, orange zest, and a pinch of salt. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook the Cranberries: Add the cranberries to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer: Let the cranberries simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until they start to burst and the sauce thickens. Remember that the sauce will thicken more as it cools.
- Adjust Flavor: Taste the sauce and add more sugar if it’s too tart for your liking. If it’s too sweet, add a little more wine or a splash of lemon juice.
- Finish the Sauce: Once the cranberries have cooked and the sauce has reached your desired consistency, remove the saucepan from the heat. Discard the cinnamon stick and orange zest.
- Cool and Serve: Let the sauce cool before serving. It can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold.
This cranberry wine sauce is great as an accompaniment to holiday dishes, especially turkey, or as a topping for desserts.
Quick and Healthy Salmon Glazed with a Zesty Dijon Mustard…Keep reading
Unleash Bold and Sophisticated Flavors in Your Kitchen This classic…Keep reading