The dazzling appetizer every gathering deserves this year
Dazzling company, great conversation and delicious food help make memories each holiday season. This year immerse yourself in the culinary experience and embrace the kitchen adventure. Let’s get cooking!
MOROCCAN LAMB MEATBALLS WITH POMEGRANATE GLAZE
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 pound ground American Lamb
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced or crushed through a press
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped, tender stems ok
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs (feel free to use gluten-free bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for searing
- 1 small shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey.
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon ground allspice
- Garnish: pomegranate seeds, fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley or mint), or optional toasted pine nuts
- Place all meatball ingredients except olive oil, in a medium bowl and using hands, combine well, adding enough breadcrumbs to make them easy to roll into balls.
- Using wet hands, roll into ping-pong sized balls (about 1 ¾- 2 inches in diameter) and set aside. You should have about 12-16 meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Start the glaze. In a small sauce pan or pot, sauté the shallot in a drizzle of olive oil, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant and tender. Add pomegranate juice, a pinch of salt and pepper, maple syrup and allspice.
- Bring to a simmer, turn heat to medium, then gently simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until it reduces down to ½ cup. Turn heat off.
- While the glaze is reducing, cook the meat balls.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Working in batches (don’t over crowd) sear the meatballs on most sides. Place in an oven proof dish, and place in the warm oven to cook through. Pour glaze over top and keep warm until ready to serve, or refrigerate and reheat. Right before serving, sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds, herbs and optional pine
Recipe and Photograph courtesy The American Lamb Board