Colavita recreates these savory chicken meatballs and a thick, rich mole sauce from Guelaguetza, an authentic Oaxacan restaurant in Los Angeles.
CHICKEN MOLE MEATBALLS OVER CHEESY POLENTA
PREP TIME: 1 hr 20 mins | COOK TIME: 30 mins
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Mexican seasoning (ingredients
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (hate cilantro?
leave it out)
For the Mole
- 8 ounces Guelaguetza Mole Paste
- 1 box Colavita Crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces low sodium chicken stock,
more as needed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1tsp salt
For the Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Chile powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoke paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the Polenta
- 1 cup Colavita Instant Polenta
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sharp cheddar or Manchego
- Freshly chopped cilantro, sour cream
and lime wedges
Make the Seasoning
- combine all the seasoning ingredients in a jar and mix to combine. Store extra in a sealed jar.
Make the Meatballs
- Combine all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Cover and chill for at least one hour, but can be chilled overnight.
- Once chilled, roll the chicken mixture into small golf-ball sized rounds and place them on a baking sheet. TIP: if you wet your hands, it will be easier to form the balls.
- Heat your oven to 400°F and heat 2 tbsp Colavita olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, brown the meatballs on all sides and remove to a plate. The meatballs will not be fully cooked at this point.
- Turn the heat down to low, pour the Colavita Crushed tomatoes into the skillet and deglaze the pan with them, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom.
- Add the Mole Paste and stir to combine. TIP: Warming the mole paste in the microwave for a few seconds will help it incorporate more quickly. Add the chicken broth and stir until the sauce thickens, about 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet, cover and roast in the oven 20-25 minutes until cooked.
Meanwhile make the polenta
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the Colavita Instant Polenta and the salt and stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, stirring to combine.
- Divide the polenta among 4 bowls.
- Spoon in 3-4 meatballs, plus extra sauce.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro and serve.
Recipe and cover photo courtesy Colavita.com