Making pasta for the family isn’t as daunting as it sounds. It’s involved and takes a bit of time, but the recipe is simple. The more you practice and your technique evolves, you will find yourself mulling over creative and delicious ways to enhance future dishes.
The following link is directed to a previous post for making fresh pasta. how to make pasta, and contains step by step instructions. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at Karie@YourHomewithKarieEngels.com or message on the Facebook page.
The same idea applies to the filling. The recipe below is simple and as you work with it more often, you will find delectable combinations using fresh herbs, chicken, mushrooms or a variety of cheeses. Stay away from butter and oils with fillings as they don’t cook as well.
Once your pasta is rolled and ready, the fun begins!
Cheese Ravioli with Honey-Garlic Bourbon Sauce
Prepare the Filling
- 1 8 ounce container ricotta cheese
- 1 4 ounce package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley or combination of herbs of your choice
Combine all ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Spoon the Filling
Roll out the pasta dough into thin sheets. Brush egg wash over a sheet of pasta. Drop the filling mixture on the dough by teaspoonfuls about one inch apart. Cover the filling with the top sheet of pasta, pressing out the air from around each portion of filling. Press firmly around the filling to seal. Cut into individual ravioli with a knife or pizza cutter and seal the edges well.
Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the ravioli, and return to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the ravioli float to the top and the filling is hot, 4 to 8 minutes. Do not empty ravioli into a colander or strainer as they may burst. Gently remove from water with a slotted spoon.
Prepare the Sauce
While your pasta is boiling is a great time to begin your sauce…..
- ½ cup Darigold butter
- 1 tablespoon COF Honey-Garlic Bourbon Seasoning
- 2 cups Darigold heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- dash salt
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat melt butter. Add cream, pepper, salt and Honey-Garlic Pepper Seasoning.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly add cheese.
- Return to stove on low and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add ravioli, sprinkle with cheese and fresh herbs and serve.