Delicious Fastnachts and a Sparkling Hot Toddy
If you’re craving something sweet with zero sugar and a lot of flavor, you’ve stopped at the right place. Sparkling ICE has shared a dazzling recipe for Fastnacht Day (AKA Fat Tuesday)– the annual Pennsylvania Dutch celebration that falls on Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. The tradition is to eat the very best foods, and lots of it, before the Lenten fast.
Fastnachts (pronounced fost-nokts) are a type of German donuts, and I wanted to share a recipe for a version made with Sparking ICE – much lighter than the traditional potato-based recipe. They are easy to make, light and crispy, and delicious!
Keeping with the delightful apple theme, the Sparkling ICE Hot Toddy will keep you warm until spring arrives. Light a fire, whip up a couple of toddies and snuggle in. Cheers!
- 1 cup Crisp Apple Sparkling ICE
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups Splenda Sugar Blend
- ½ cup ground cinnamon
Part 1: Making the donut dough
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together, on medium high-speed for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time until combined. Slowly pour in the milk and half of the Crisp Apple Sparkling ICE to the mixing bowl.
- With the mixer on slow speed add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until just combined. The dough should look shaggy.
- Slowly pour in the remaining amount of Crisp Apple Sparkling ICE on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Part 2: Dough storage
- Tear 2 pieces of parchment paper the size of a baking sheet.
- Line the first piece of parchment on a clean baking sheet and heavily dust with flour.
- Turn out the dough onto the floured parchment and press evenly till it’s about 3/4 inch thick. (If the dough seems too sticky flour your hands before pressing.)
- Lightly flour the top of the dough and place the second piece of parchment over the dough. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
Part 3: Frying donuts
- In a deep-frying pan, heat enough oil to come up 2 inches from the bottom to 375 degrees using a candy thermometer.
- Gently peel the top piece of parchment off the dough.
- Using a floured donut cutter, punch out dough and place in hot oil.
- Fry on each side for 2-3 minutes or until light brown. Adjust the heat if needed. Scoop on paper towel lined baking tray.
Part 4: Finishing donuts
- Combine cinnamon and Splenda in a large bowl.
- While the donuts are still warm, toss with cinnamon and Splenda mixture until evenly coated.
- Serve warm.
Sparkling Apple Hot Toddy
- 6 oz. Crisp Apple Sparkling ICE
- 1 ½ oz. whisky or apple brandy
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Cinnamon stick, allspice cloves, and apple slices for garnish
- Coat the bottom of a glass coffee cup with honey. Add whisky or brandy
- Heat Crisp Apple Sparkling ICE in a small sauce pot
- Pour hot Sparkling ICE into glass. Stir to combine ingredients
- Garnish with cinnamon stick, allspice cloves, and apple slices