The Bride to Be
A 13 month journey in wedding planning.
Not long ago, I was honored to have someone who is very dear to my heart, ask me to assist in planning her wedding. She doesn’t live close by so we are planning via text, chats, emails, telephone and trading images over Pinterest.
The wedding is set for spring of 2018 so in theory, there is plenty of time to seamlessly pull all of this together. I say in theory, because well, time does fly. So we are arming ourselves with a firm outline, a stout plan and as many wedding magazines as we can each possibly carry. Most importantly, we are having fun with this and to my extreme delight, she has already chosen her venue for both the wedding and reception.
The Loft at Russell’s, is a magical event space where the wedding will be held. This is a very large piece of the puzzle that has been set in place and the bride will now begin to assemble all of the other pieces around this one to complete her perfect wedding picture. The beauty of the venue she has chosen is, the catering is on site and the cuisine is exquisite as Chef Russell Dean Lowell is well-known as one of the best in his field. (Photo: RussellLowell.com )
Task one complete. The venue has been chosen and we move forward with the steps below:
Thirteen to Nine Months Before
- Work out the budget
- Choose the wedding party
- Start the guest list, keeping in mind it will change many times.
- Research photographers, bands and florist
- Plan the Engagement party
Eight Months Before
- Hire photographer and videographer
- Book entertainment
- Meet caterers
- THE Dress
- Reserve blocks of hotel rooms for out-of-town guests
- Launch a wedding web site, a great way to keep everyone informed
Seven and Six Months Before
- Select and purchase invitations
- Begin planning the honeymoon
- Shop for Bridesmaid dresses
- Send Save the Date Cards
- Reserve structural and electrical necessities
- Book a florist
- Arrange transportation
- Begin jotting down the “Day of” timeline
Five and Four Months Before
- Book rehearsal dinner and venue
- Select and order the cake
- Send your guest list to the host of the shower
- Schedule hair and makeup
- Choose your music
Three Months Before
- Finalize menu and flowers
- Order favors ( if desired )
- Make a list of people giving toasts
- Finalize the readings
- Purchase your undergarments, ooh la la!
- Finalize the order of ceremony and reception
- Print menu cards and programs
- Send event schedule to vendors
Two Months Before
- Contact all vendors and go over details and questions either one of you may have.
- Meet with the photographer
- Review the playlist with band or Deejay
- Send out the official invitations
- Submit newspaper / wedding announcement
One Month Before
- Enter RSVP’s onto your guest list
- Marriage License
- Mail rehearsal dinner invitations
- One last fitting for THE Dress
- Final confirmation for all vendors, hair and makeup
- Email and print directions for all drivers of transport vehicles
- Seating charts (based on your RSVP list)
- Purchase bridesmaid gifts
- Write vows
- Final hair cut / color before wedding
The Week Of
- Final Confirmation with vendors, yes again.
- Delegate small wedding day tasks
- Send a timeline to the wedding party
- Pick up the dress
- Check in with the photographer
- Set aside payments for the vendors, and tips in envelopes
- Send final guest counts to caterer
- Break in your new shoes. Make sure they fit, wear them around for a bit so they will be comfortable on your perfect day.
The top priority for any wedding planner or assistant is to take as much stress off the bride to be as possible. Planning a wedding can be a stressful event for the couple, when it should be one of the happiest. It’s up to family and friends to step in and pick up a few of the numerous tasks that are involved in an attempt to defuse tension before it arises. Be a good friend and always ask if there is a piece of the puzzle you can put in place.
**As the wedding date approaches, I look forward to bringing you updates on the progress of this spectacular couple’s big day!