By Chef Karista Bennett
A savory galette feels like a special treat. Especially when summer produce is in full swing. Gorgeous garden ripe red peppers and fresh basil are combined with a silky goat cheese and flavorful basil pesto in this savory galette. It’s the perfect light but indulgent summer meal that is easily paired with a crisp white wine.
Roasted Red Pepper, Goat Cheese and Basil Galette
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of very cold unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces of cold water
For the Galette
- 2 red peppers roasted, peeled seeded and sliced into strips
- 3 -4 ounces goat cheese
- ¼ – 1/3 cup basil pesto
- ½ bunch fresh basil, sliced chiffonade or torn
- 1 egg whisked with 1 teaspoon water
- Kosher salt or finishing salt
- In a food processor, add the walnuts and pulse until finely chopped. Then add the flour and salt and give it another pulse to combine.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Then add the egg and while the food processor is running, add one tablespoon of water at a time until the mixture forms a firm dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a slightly floured surface and pat it into a round disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to make the galette, pre-heat the oven to 375F.
- On lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough into a rough circle, it doesn’t have to be perfect which is the beauty of a galette. Roll the dough fairly thin, about 1/8th inch, but not too thin that it falls apart. Then transfer the parchment with the galette crust onto a baking sheet.
- Spread the pesto on the bottom of the galette, leaving room around the edges to fold. Then dollop the goat cheese over the pesto and then layer with the strips of roasted red pepper.
- Fold the edges of the galette dough toward the center of the galette to form a rustic pie shaped circle and then brush the edges with egg wash and sprinkle with kosher or finishing salt.
- Place the galette in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Remove the galette from the oven and let it cool. Top with fresh basil chiffonade and serve with a crisp white wine.
Karista is a passionate and experienced culinary arts professional, food photographer and freelance writer whose personal philosophy is to connect and inspire, visually through her photos and tasted in her recipes. She believes “Food should not only satisfy hunger, it should feed the soul, nourish the body and delight the senses”
Her work appears regularly in several food, home and lifestyle magazines and she also publishes a recipe website at karistaskitchen.com You can find her on Instagram at www.Instagram.com/lifearoundmytable and Facebook at facebook.com/karistaskitchen
Karista lives in a beautiful and vibrant farming community in the Willamette Valley, Oregon with her husband, two daughters and one very tenacious terrier named Tank.