Shake up the Derby Day favorite with Zacapa Rum
With the Run for the Roses approaching and viewers tuning in from all over the country, fans at home are likely looking forward to sipping the event’s longstanding signature cocktail, the Mint Julep. But for those who want to shake up the Derby Day favorite, cocktail mastermind Lynnette Marrero has teamed up with Zacapa No. 23 Rum for a fresh take that features lush peaches and bright herbs.
The balance of delicate and unique flavors of Zacapa No. 23 is derived from a blend of aged rums between 6 and 23 years old, originating from a unique aging process. The spirit is aged in selected barrels that previously aged robust American whiskey, delicate sherries and fine Pedro Ximénez wines, resulting in a smooth and balanced rum that likens to the complexity of bourbon – and a perfect spirit swap for the classic Mint Julep.
Cocktail created by Lynnette Marrero for Zacapa Rum
- 1 1/4-ounce Zacapa 23 Rum
- 1/2-ounce (1 tablespoon) peach liqueur, peach brandy, or peach schnapps
- Peach slice for garnish
- Basil and mint
- In a Julep cup or metal cup add 2 basil and 4 mint leaves with peach liqueur gently press the herbs with a muddler.
- Add Zacapa Rum, and a little crushed ice, stir gently. Then pack the rest of the cup tightly with crushed ice.
- Stir more until the cup is frosted on the outside.
- Top with more crushed ice to form an ice dome.
- Garnish with peach slice and basil.