As temps dip, there’s nothing more comforting than a quick one-skillet dish.
The savory aroma of garlic and onions melds harmoniously with the earthy spinach and tangy sun-dried tomatoes. As the chicken simmers in the creamy Parmesan sauce, every ingredient tells a tale of warmth and wholesomeness. Perfect for a busy weeknight, this dish offers a cozy culinary retreat, wrapping you in its flavorful warmth as the night draws in.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (if using oil-packed, drain them)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or fresh if available)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or fresh if available)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- Fresh lemon juice (from half a lemon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Prepare Chicken: Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook Chicken: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken breasts and sear until golden brown on both sides, about 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Saute Veggies & Sun-Dried Tomatoes: In the same skillet, add a bit more oil if necessary. Add the sliced onions and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and let them warm up with the onions and garlic.
- Add Spinach: Incorporate the spinach leaves into the skillet and sauté until they’ve wilted, which will take about 2-3 minutes. Make a space in the center of the skillet.
- Create Parmesan Sauce: Pour in the chicken broth, heavy cream or half & half, thyme, and rosemary. Stir well, combining the veggies and the liquid. Once it starts to simmer, add in the grated Parmesan cheese, stirring until it’s melted and the sauce slightly thickens, which will take around 5 minutes.
- Combine Chicken: Return the chicken breasts to the skillet, nestling them into the sauce. Allow them to simmer for another 2-3 minutes in the sauce, ensuring they’re heated through and infused with the flavors.
- Final Touches: Drizzle the chicken with fresh lemon juice to add a hint of zest.
- Serve: Garnish with extra grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. This dish is perfect alongside rice, pasta, or crusty bread to absorb all the delicious flavors of the sauce!