Finish your holiday feast with the grand finale of all desserts – a moist, pumpkin cake base, studded with chocolate chips and topped with a sticky caramel sauce. It all comes together in your slow cooker, saving time, effort and oven space. Scoop baked cake into individual ramekins and top with whipped cream for a fancy, single-serving of indulgence.
This week, McCormick Kitchens sent a few recipes our way to share with our readers. They understand that planning a perfectly timed Thanksgiving feast brimming with the nostalgic flavors and aromas of the season can be challenging. This year, the McCormick Kitchens have developed wow-worthy recipes that put the slow cooker to work, making everything from homemade cranberry sauce to sausage sage stuffing and mouth-watering apple cobbler. Our Thanksgiving menu has just been expanded.
“Many classic Thanksgiving dishes are even better when prepared in a slow cooker – it gives desserts an ooey gooey texture and allows flavors to fully develop in sides and sauces,” said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. “Instead of using canned cranberry sauce, let fresh cranberries, cinnamon, bay leaves and an orange slowly simmer in the slow cooker. Four hours later you’ll have an impressive, sweet-tart sauce to serve with the turkey and spread on leftover sandwiches.”
Stay tuned this holiday season as we share McCormick Kitchen’s delicious slow cooker recipes.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Sauce
- 1 package (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Spray inside of 6-quart slow cooker with no stick cooking spray. For the Cake, mix all ingredients in large bowl. Pour into greased slow cooker. Place clean, dry hand towel over slow cooker and cover with lid.
- Cook 3 1/2 hours on LOW or until cake is almost set.
- Meanwhile, for the Caramel Sauce, cook and stir all ingredients in small saucepan on medium-high heat 5 minutes or until sauce is smooth.
- Carefully remove slow cooker insert and place on wire rack. Pour 1/2 of the Caramel Sauce over the cake. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes to cool slightly. Serve cake with remaining sauce, and ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
This delicious recipe was sent to Your Home with Karie Engels to share with our readers, by McCormick. For more Thanksgiving tips and recipes, visit McCormick.com. Also, check them out on Pinterest and Facebook.
Photo Credit: Julie Gransee / Lovely Little Kitchen.