A quick and simple appetizer sure to please a crowd.
This time of year gardens are bursting with goodness and farmers markets are filled with fresh produce. The “fresh” tomato is in season, so let’s get in the kitchen!
Baked Tomatoes with Cheese
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmasan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
(to double this recipe, simply double the ingredients)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Place tomato slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. cut side up
- On each tomato, sprinkle with a layer or parmesan and then a layer or mozzarella
- Sprinkle the chopped basil on top of each tomato
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly
- Turn off oven and broil quickly to “toast” the cheese. Keep your eyes on this, it happens quickly.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle lightly with fresh chives or anything your hearts desire. Enjoy!
There are many recipes and many ways to create this delicious appetizer.
- Any type or size of tomato will work
- If using small tomatoes slightly reduce your cook and broil time and use more tomatoes.
- If using larger tomatoes slightly increase your cook time and use less tomatoes.
- You can either slice your tomato utilizing several slices or slice just the top off, “fill” with cheese and herbs and replace top.
- We used medium size tomato, sliced only the top, filled/topped with cheese and basil and lightly replaced the top before baking.