Rustic and simple, the sour cherries pair perfectly with a sweet dessert wine like Cresta Bella Port.
Note: Crushed almonds and vanilla bean ice cream are perfect companions to our tart cherry dessert and Cresta Bella California Port.
BASIL & SALT’S SOUR CHERRY GALETTE
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1/4 cup water, very cold
- 3 cups sour (tart) cherries, rinsed, pitted and sliced in half (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (tapioca flour)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water, cream or milk
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk or sift together.
- Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes, add to the mixing bowl, and toss with the flour mixture to coat.
- Cut butter into dough with a pastry cutter or fork
- Add the water and stir with a spoon or silicone spatula to mix. Continue working the mixture with a fork or your hands to work in the rest of the flour.
- Prepare your pastry board or counter top and rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out into a circle about 14-inches in diameter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the circle of dough onto the parchment and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- In a large bowl, toss prepared cherries with sugar cinnamon, tapioca starch, and lemon or lime juice. Let cherry mix sit for a moment to combine flavors.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and place the cherry filling in the center of the crust, leaving a border about 3-inches wide around the edges.
- Carefully fold up the edges of the dough to hold in the cherry filling. The beauty of this dessert lies in its rustic nature, so don’t worry if it looks perfect.
- Whisk together an egg and 1 tablespoon water, cream or milk to make an egg wash and brush the galette dough with the egg wash. This assists in keeping the folds together and gives it a beautiful sheet.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 40 minutes.
Our Perfect Pairing: Cresta Bella Port, California