Get your Grill on! These flavorful burgers will be the hit of the neighborhood at your next cookout.
How many times have you strolled through the state fair, seduced by the scent of caramelized onions wafting through the air, luring you closer to the source of the irresistible aroma? As the onions gently sizzle in a fragrant dance, their natural sugars slowly caramelize, releasing an intoxicating symphony of flavors.
Each bite of these velvety, sweetly savory strands unveils a harmony of tastes, as the onions reveal their complex layers of caramelized essence. The initial delicate crunch gives way to a luscious, melt-in-your-mouth tenderness, while their sweetness, gently offset by a hint of savory undertones, leaves a lingering, unforgettable sensation on your palate.
In the world of culinary delights, caramelized onions are the hidden gem that elevates every dish they grace. Whether nestled atop a sizzling grilled burger, enhancing the creaminess of a velvety soup, or adding a luxurious touch to a gourmet pizza, these caramelized treasures infuse each bite with a depth and richness that captivate the senses.
But their appeal extends far beyond their culinary prowess. Caramelized onions embody a celebration of patience and skill, as they require time, dedication, and a watchful eye to achieve the perfect balance of caramelization. They epitomize the transformative power of cooking, taking a humble vegetable and turning it into a culinary masterpiece that tantalizes both the palate and the imagination.
When it comes to achieving the ultimate grilled burger, we all have our personal favorites. A single strip of bacon per burger might not suffice for some, and others may favor American cheese over cheddar. Adjust and customize the ingredients to create a burger that reflects your unique taste and style.
FFNW Grilled Blue Cheese & Bacon Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Makes 8 Burgers
- 2 pounds FFNW ground beef
- 8 hamburger buns
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 8 slices cheddar, American, or Gruyère cheese (pictured: Gruyère)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, extra blue cheese crumbles, condiments of your choice
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and crumbled blue cheese. Mix well to evenly distribute the cheese throughout the meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the beef mixture into 8 equal portions and shape them into patties, making them slightly larger than the hamburger buns as they will shrink during cooking. Use your thumb to make a small indentation in the center of each patty to prevent them from puffing up.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle the brown sugar over the onions. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20-25 minutes until the onions are caramelized and golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and place it on paper towels to drain excess grease. Set aside.
- Place the burger patties on the preheated grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until they reach your desired level of doneness. During the last minute of cooking, top each patty with a slice of cheddar cheese to allow it to melt.
- While the patties are cooking, lightly toast the hamburger buns on the grill until they are golden brown.
- Assemble the burgers by placing a patty on the bottom half of each toasted bun. Top with a slice of bacon, a generous amount of caramelized onions, and any additional toppings you desire. Finish by placing the top half of the bun on top.
- Serve the grilled hamburgers immediately and enjoy!
Big Flavors call for a big wine
Our choice: Baldacci Family Vineyards FRATERNITY Red Blend
Aromas of black cherry, cassis, white chocolate, and crushed herbs are an amazing introduction to the mouthwatering flavors of blackberries, figs, dark chocolate, tobacco leaves and delicate notes of minerals and earth, all wrapped in a coating of delicious French oak (Concentrated, Blackberry, Chocolate, Full-bodied) Visit Baldacci Family Vineyards
Farm Fresh Northwest | Pasture raised beef and pork delivered to your doorstep.
Farm Fresh Northwest, operated by Mark and Brooke Lathim, is dedicated to providing high-quality products. Their cattle and pigs are nurtured in a pasture-raised environment, ensuring they are free from antibiotics and hormones. Additionally, their feed is strictly non-GMO.
The cattle receive exceptional care from Grandpa as he tends to them on his farm located in Eastern Washington. On the west side, Mark and Brooke take charge of raising the pigs on their farm situated in Stanwood, Washington. Mark himself represents the fifth generation to grow up on the family farm, which lies 30 miles north of Pasco alongside the Snake River.
This post is in partnership with Farm Fresh Northwest – if you choose to become a customer of FFNW – use code BASIL at checkout for an exclusive discount on your first order! Visit the FFNW page at menu!
Pouring Over the Numbers: How Your State Stacks Up in…Keep reading
Embrace the essence of autumn with our Lattice Top Rustic…Keep reading