Our simple recipe is perfect for warm weather and backyard grilling. Gather your friends, pour a chilled white and enjoy.
Summertime grilling is the ultimate way to keep the kitchen cool and cook seasonal, fresh foods. Our recipe for seafood kabobs is perfect for keeping in sync this season. Any type of seafood will do. (See note below) Visit your local farm, market or grocer and use seasonal vegetables as cooking companions for your fish.
Kabobs work well for “firmer” fish and if you use flat metal skewers, it will keep the fish from “spinning” when flipping the kabobs. If you use bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using them so they don’t burn while grilling.
When threading your seafood onto skewer, thread against the grain so your fish doesn’t fall apart and remember to keep vegetable slices thick, so they don’t burn before the seafood has cooked all the way through. If you like seafood more than vegetables, cut back on the number of veggies and add large prawns.
The sauce for this recipe is Lemon-Basil butter, although you can use whatever your favorite flavors are. Change your sauce up in accordance with what vegetables you would like to use. Tweak and twist the recipe until you have exactly the flavors you and family love.
Seafood Kabobs with Lemon-Basil Butter
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh, chopped basil, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon shallots, finely minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 pounds halibut and salmon, thick pieces, cut into 1″ chunks (1 pound each, although you can mix and match however it pleases you. )
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, thick sliced
- 1-quart mixed cherry tomatoes or 1 large red pepper and 1 large yellow pepper cut into 1″ pieces.
- Mix butter, garlic, 2 tablespoons of basil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, lemon zest, shallots, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Combine well, set aside.
- Combine fish with oil, and remaining 1 tablespoon basil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and marinate for 20 minutes. Preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Thread halibut, vegetables and salmon alternately for great color presentation. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Grill until the fish is just opaque, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove kabobs to platter, top with half of the lemon-basil butter, serve additional butter as sauce on the side.
One thought on “Seafood Kabobs with Lemon-Basil Butter”
Great recipe. Seafood is so good for summer and hot weather