Colavita and The Black Garlic Market are the perfect pairing for this spectacular appetizer
Colorful raw vegetables, pita bread, chips or crostinis are perfect dippers for this vibrant dish.
COLAVITA’S BLACK GARLIC HUMMUS
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 45 mins
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 3 cloves black garlic – The Black Garlic Market
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 heaping tbsp caramelized onions (see below)
For the Garnish
- Chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp caramelized onions
- Roasted and salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
For the Caramelized Onions
- 1 vidalia onion
- 2 tbsp Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Rachael Ray All-Natural Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp Colavita Balsamic Vinegar
Caramelize the Onions
- Slice up the onions into strips.
- Heat up the Colavita Olive Oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Throw in the onions. Then….wait. No, seriously, you have to wait a while. Maybe about 35 minutes depending on how many onions you crammed into that frying pan.
- Stir only OCCASIONALLY. You want them to get toasty brown and they can’t do that if you’re constantly flippin’ ‘em around like a maniac. They will wilt, because they are losing water. And they will get nice and brown (like caramel, see?). You could watch them do this, but it’s like watching the grass grow.
- Check up on them every now and again to give them a gentle turn and make sure everything is on the up-and-up. Once they are nicely golden brown, add the ½ cup Rachael Ray Low Sodium Chicken Stock. Simmer until the chicken stock is almost completely evaporated. Then add the 2 tablespoons of Colavita Balsamic Vinegar. Stir well to coat all the onions in vinegar. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of the caramelized onions and place them in a food processor with the chick peas, black garlic, sea salt, smoked paprika and lemon juice. Blend well.
- Now gradually drizzle in the Colavita Olive Oil while the food processor is on. This will smooth the hummus out. Continue to blend in the oil until you’ve achieved your desired consistency.
- Serve with pita chips, or on Italian bread.
Recipe courtesy Colavita