Spring desserts are on our radar and we are ready for berry season. So let’s make an Eton Mess!
This traditional English dessert is so simple and can be customized in various ways to fit all the favor profiles in attendance at your backyard summer gatherings.
Note: Tossing a few blueberries in the mix will make a beautiful red, white and blue Eton mess, perfect for Independence Day.
Let’s begin with the meringue
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- dash of salt
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites and beat at medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Pipe meringue (we use #32-star tip) about 1 1/4″ diameter, 2″ apart on parchment and bake for 40 – 45 minutes until firm to touch. Turn off the oven, leaving the meringues inside with the door closed for about an hour. Cool completely in oven to ensure crispness.
You can make meringues a day ahead and store them in an airtight container.
The berries and cream
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced, plus a few whole berries for garnish
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In medium bowl, mix berries and sugar together. Allow to macerate while whipping the cream.
- Whip cream in large bowl until thick but still soft. Break meringues and gently fold into cream or add meringues when serving, your preference.
- Serve in individual bowls, alternating cream, broken meringue and berries, garnish with whole berry on top.
Other fun ideas
- Puree half the berries and gently fold into the whipped cream.
- Macerate berries in sugar and a touch of liqueur for an adult version of the dessert, before adding to bowl.
- Set up ingredients with different berry selections and have guests create their own masterpiece.
Warm and Cozy Irish Lamb Stew
Chase the winter chill away with a winter warmer favorite March always …
Spring Checklist for Pets
6 ways to keep your pets happy and healthy Warmer weather means …
Are you obsessed with ‘The Last of Us’? You’re not alone
Washington ranks no. 3 as a state most obsessed with ‘The Last …
Freeland Spirits Announces Grant for One Women-Identifying Founder Ahead of Women’s History Month
As Women’s History Month begins, Portland-based Freeland Spirits in partnership with Re:HER is announcing The Freeland …