Celebrate National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day with a citrusy, sweet favorite.
Light and airy, Wilton’s Lemon Chiffon Cake is the perfect spring treat
Wilton’s Glazed Lemon Chiffon Cake
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add oil, egg yolks, lemon juice, water and lemon zest. whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whipped whites into the batter to lighten. Gently fold in the remaining whites until mixture is combined: do not overmix or batter will deflate. Pour into ungreased pan and tap the pan gently on the counter to release air pockets.
- Bake 50 – 60 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Invert pan immediately after removing from the oven and cool completely. Run a knife around the sides and center of the cake to loosen.
- For the glaze, combine butter, zest, confections’ sugar, juice and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir until smooth. Pour over the cooled cake and spread with spatula.
Note: if glaze drips off the cake, it can be gently scooped back up with a spatula. The glaze will set hard within 30 minutes.