Homemade ice cream is a great way to get your hands on the freshest, most flavorful ice cream available. Whether you’re looking to make yourself feel better, impress your friends or simply save some cash—making homemade ice cream is a tasty and economical way to enjoy this sweet treat.
Below are just a few reasons why you might want to try making ice cream at home
- It tastes better.
- You can mix and match any flavors you want.
The cost of making homemade ice cream is another benefit worth noting. The price of store-bought ice cream is climbing and it’s more economical to make your own. You can make a batch of homemade ice cream for less than $1 per serving if you use store-bought ingredients, even if you splurge on fancy equipment and premium ingredients, your total bill will still be well below what you’d pay at the grocery store or local ice cream parlor.
- You can make it whenever you want.
- You can make it in small batches, so you don’t end up with more ice cream than your family or friends can eat before it goes bad.
- You can make it without having to go out and buy ingredients at the store (or online).
- And best of all, if someone needs a last-minute dessert, they won’t have to wait for delivery!
Control over quality of ingredients and flavors
- You can use fresh ingredients.
- You can make it healthy.
- You can make it vegan, gluten free and low carb.
- And if you’re a high-protein/high fiber fanatic like me, there’s no need to worry about those things either!
Homemade ice cream is healthier than store-bought, because it’s made with real ingredients. There are no preservatives or artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners in your homemade version of this classic dessert.
Instead of using high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) as a sweetener for most store-bought brands of ice cream, you can use honey or maple syrup instead. The latter two are also excellent sources of antioxidants and minerals like zinc and manganese.
Whether you’re making ice cream for yourself or for friends, there is no better way to enjoy it than making it yourself. You can control what goes into it, so it’s healthier and more delicious than store-bought options. Plus, the process itself is fun and easy–you don’t even need fancy equipment! So, what are you waiting for? Let’s make some ice cream!
Coffee Ice Cream
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 230, Total Fat 18 g, Saturated Fat 11 g, Cholesterol 110 mg, Sodium 25 mg, Total Carbohydrate 15 g, Sugars 13 g, Protein 2 g
Tips: The ice cream will be a “soft-serve” consistency when it first comes out of the machine. For firmer, scoopable ice cream, cover the bowl with the Stretch-Fit Silicone Lid and place in the freezer for 2–4 hours.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- coffee beans, optional garnish
- Place the bowl of the ice cream maker into the freezer on the coldest setting for at least 24 hours.
- combine the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks to temper the eggs. Slowly add the egg mixture back into the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a clean bowl. Cover the bowl and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until it reaches 45 degrees F.
- Remove the ice cream maker bowl from the freezer and attach the assembled clear lid to the bowl.
- Set the time for 20 minutes. Once the paddle starts to rotate, pour the mixture into the bowl.
- When the ice cream maker stops turning, check the doneness. The mixture should be soft-serve consistency. If needed, add more time until desired consistency is reached.
A Unique Fusion of Rich Chocolate and Umami Depth Discover…
Embrace the essence of autumn with our Lattice Top Rustic…
As the crisp air wraps around our senses and we…
Juicy blackberries burst with natural sweetness, perfectly balanced in flavor…
The smoky sweetness of the grilled peaches, combined with the…
From Traditional Roots to Modern Delights: Exploring the Rich History…
Elevate your outdoor dining experience with these patio friendly recipes…
Looking for a delicious and refreshing summer recipe? Look no…