Limited-quantity, DOLE® Golden Selection® Pineapples boast a deeper golden color, more aromatic fragrance and sweeter and juicier tropical flavor
The global leader in pineapples since 1901, Dole Food Company is introducing a new juicier and more aromatic and golden pineapple in response to consumer demand for a sweeter pineapple-eating experience.
The fresh produce leader’s new DOLE® Golden Selection® Pineapple arrives at select supermarkets in the US and Canada in mid-April. Sustainably grown exclusively in Costa Rica, the new fruit has been expertly cultivated to taste sweeter, shine brighter and offer a more vibrant tropical flavor that balances the pineapple’s customary sweet and tart sensations while elevating the indulgent taste experience.
Less than 6% of all DOLE® Pineapples possess the taste and appearance qualifications necessary to be tagged a DOLE® Golden Selection® Pineapple. The new fruit will be available in limited quantities based on seasonality and availability.
“In the 122 years that Dole has been cultivating pineapples in Hawaii, Central and South America and throughout the tropics, we’ve learned what it takes to grow the world’s best, most beloved fruit,” said Dole Director of Corporate Communications William Goldfield. “While all Dole pineapples are tender, sweet and packed with nutrients, healthy enzymes and Vitamins B6 and C, these new Golden Selection Pineapples glow and taste just a little brighter.”
Melanie Marcus, MA, RD, Dole’s nutrition and health communications manager, has identified a number of dishes from Dole’s vast online recipe library that best showcase the enhanced sweetness of the DOLE® Golden Selection® Pineapple including Pineapple Carpaccio, Dole Mango Pineapple Salad, Cool Summer Gazpacho Salad, Ginger-Chili Ahi Tuna Poke Skewers (recipe below) and Magic Carpet Lemon Curd Cups, (recipe below) created in honor of Princess Jasmine for Disney’s Ultimate Princess Celebration.
For more information, visit the new DOLE® Golden Selection® Pineapple web page.
Ginger-Chili Ahi Tuna Poke Skewers
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 1¼ pounds sushi-grade ahi tuna, cut into 16 cubes
- 1 small English cucumber, cut into 16 slices
- ½ medium DOLE® Tropical Gold® Pineapple, skin and core removed, cut into 16 chunks
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 16 pieces
- 16 (4-inch) bamboo skewers
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek or Asian ground chili paste
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 DOLE® Green Onions, thinly sliced
- Black and white sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Thread 1 piece tuna, cucumber, pineapple, and avocado onto each skewer; place in shallow baking dish.
- Whisk oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sambal oelek, honey, and ginger in a small bowl; drizzle over tuna skewers. Cover and chill 30 minutes, turning once.
- Serve skewers sprinkled with onions garnished with sesame seeds, if desired.
Magic Carpet Lemon Curd Cups
Total Time: 23 Minutes
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 Minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 DOLE® Lemons, juiced (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup raw cane sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cold natural buttery spread with olive oil, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup light coconut whipped topping
- ½ cup DOLE® Raspberries
- ¼ cup finely chopped DOLE® Pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted lightly salted pistachios
- Whisk eggs and yolk in a medium bowl.
- Whisk lemon juice and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat; heat to a simmer. Temper egg mixture by transferring half the lemon mixture into the egg mixture while whisking constantly; whisk egg mixture into saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 3 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly. Remove lemon curd from heat; whisk in buttery spread. Strain lemon curd through fine-mesh strainer into a medium bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Makes about 1 cup.
- Divide lemon curd into 8 (4-ounce) decorative plastic cups; top with whipped topping, raspberries, pineapple and pistachios.