A slight twist on the trad Mac ‘n Cheese recipe
Honey and cauliflower in Mac ‘n Cheese? Yes, and it’s divine! Perfectly paired with [yellow tail] PURE BRIGHT Chardonnay, you will love this new twist on an old favorite.
CAULIFLOWER MAC ‘N CHEESE
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ tsp yellow mustard
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup cooked pasta (such as cavatappi, elbows, rotini)
- 2 Tbsp Italian-style seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut cauliflower florets into smaller florets of uniform size, about 1 ½ inches each.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; place on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast cauliflower 6 minutes. Stir; roast another 2-3 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
- Reduce oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, onion powder, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in milk and mustard; continue whisking until sauce is smooth and starting to thicken, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and honey.
- Stir sauce until cheeses melt.
- Gently stir in the cooked pasta and the roasted cauliflower, transfer mixture to a small baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake 15 minutes or until bubbly and golden.