Miami Chef, Adrianne Calvo, uses umami to revamp the upcoming Grilling Season
Nothing enhances the beauty of the outdoors during spring and summer and captures the culinary essence of these seasons like a freshly grilled cut of meat, chicken or pork. With the time for backyard barbecues, beach cookouts and lakeside picnics fast approaching, award-winning, Miami, Florida-based Chef Adrianne Calvo has put her trademark Maximum Flavor twist into the highly popular garnish, Pico de Gallo. The medley of various vegetables and herbs notably enhances the flavor of a wide variety of dishes, and Chef Adrianne’s Roasted Tomato + Crispy Cilantro Pico de Gallo brings a new delicious dimension to this traditional favorite.
Chef Adrianne’s Roasted Tomato + Crispy Cilantro Pico de Gallo embodies the multi-cultural, global approach to all culinary things, as well as an embracing of fresh, natural ingredients. The added step in Chef Adrianne’s recipe of oven roasting the tomatoes raises the level of “umami” (the fifth flavor) naturally, adding a unique dash of succulence to what is already a mouth-watering selection.
Chef Adrianne’s Roasted Tomato + Crispy Cilantro Pico de Gallo not only serves as the ideal complement to your favorite meat, chicken or pork dish, but can also be enjoyed with some crispy tortilla chips.
“I believe in soaking in all that spring and summer has to offer—sunshine, the outdoors and great food,” said Chef Adrianne. “This recipe is a natural fit with all of those awesome aspects of what is a terrific time of year, and it’s easy to prepare too!”.
Roasted Tomato + Crispy Cilantro Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded, deveined, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup white onion, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the tomatoes in a small mixing bowl and toss them with salt, sugar, and olive oil then transfer onto baking sheet. Roast tomatoes in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat a fryer (or pot with oil) to 375 degrees F. Flash fry the cilantro for 20 seconds. Drain onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Rough chop the roasted tomatoes. In a mixing bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add crispy cilantro before serving.
repurposed post for 2022
A toast to friendship and the magical spirit of the…Keep reading