A Gibson Recipe
’tis the season! Mulled wine season that is.
As we push into November and the holiday season, welcome visiting friends and family with a Gibson favorite.
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1/4 cup brandy or orange liqueur
- 1 apple, finely chopped or sliced
- 1 quince, finely chopped
- 2 oranges 1 for its peel and its juice the other, sliced
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1.5 cups water
- Handful of cloves
- 4 to 5 cinnamon sticks
- 2 – 3 cardamom
- 2 each star anise
- 4 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- Peel the oranges and “stick” the peels with cloves.
- Add all ingredients to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Simmer – cover the pot and heat until the mixture almost reaches a simmer over med-high heat. Do not let it bubble in any way, alcohol begins to vaporize at 172 F. Reduce to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes up to 3 hours.
- Strain and season: Using a fine mesh strainer, remove and discard cooked orange slices, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Add fresh ones for garnish.
Optional: The holiday season is approaching! For garnish add cranberries, fresh rosemary and other seasonal odds and ends.
Visit Gibsonwinecompany.com for award-winning wines