smoked salmon, cream cheese, horseradish and dill on rye
I first shared this recipe with my Basil & Salt Magazine readers over the last holiday season. It’s a rich, delicious appetizer that my guests and I have enjoyed each cocktail season.
I enjoy all the recipes I’ve added to Basil, however in light of a recent health concern, it’s necessary I drastically modify my diet. What’s a food writer to do? My answer was quick and simple. Add, subtract and modify each recipe without sacrificing an ounce of flavor.
Along with the occasional indulgence, fresh and delicious recipes are always on the menu. I thought it would be a great idea to pick up a few of my recipes from my other publication to modify and share them here with my new recipes. When you see Slim it Down inside on the ingredients list or in notes, this means it’s a modification of one of my original, full fat, full flavor recipes. I may post the original ingredients and then a “slim it down” version, or you may simply see here, my new and improved “slimmer” version. I loved this recipe so much I wanted to share it with the all of my readers!
This appetizer is gorgeous in presentation and your guests will love the flavor combinations. This is a simple recipe with plenty of room for improvisation. For example, pictured, I presented the salmon and cream over rye bread, however you can easily nix the bread and serve as a spread with crisps or crackers. However, you choose to present, it’s delicious. Enjoy!
A couple of tips
Before creating your spread, taste the salmon you have chosen, as some is packaged with more salt than others. Adjust your salt accordingly.
Drain your salmon of any oil or liquid before adding to your spread.
Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Dill & Horseradish on Rye
Servings: 8 Difficulty: simple
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened | slim it down 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream | Slim it down 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt, we use LaBaleine Salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, minced (as pictured) Slim it Down: instead of mincing the salmon and adding to the spread, spread a thin layer of cheese mixture on light crackers and place a larger strip of salmon on your cracker. More protein, less cheese. The cream cheese still imparts a rich flavor while the horseradish gives it that delicious “kick”.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the cheese until smooth.
- Add sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, pepper and mix.
- Add smoked salmon and mix well.
- Chill and serve.
*Note: To save time prepare, cover and chill overnight. Use a small cookie cutter to create the shape you desire for bread. We used a rye bread cut into small rounds, however feel free to create the flavor, color and shape of your choice as your base.
Do you love what you see? I am working hard on the backside to bring you beautiful delicious recipes in the front. Please follow the blog and follow-on Facebook and instagram. I look forward to seeing here often!