Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen,
Voices whisper in the trees, “Tonight is Halloween!”
The countdown has begun to the ‘all-hallows’ night of tricks, treats and doorbells. Spooky fall decor is popping up all over the neighborhood and we can’t think of a better way to celebrate the coming night of little costumed ghouls and goblins than sipping on a pumpkin spice cocktail.
Jura Jack-o-Lantern Cocktail
Combine the following ingredients in a cocktail shaker
- 2oz Jura
- ¾ oz lemon
- ¾ oz pumpkin spiced dem syrup
- 1 dash angostura
- 1 whole egg white
Pour into a coupe glass and garnish with sprinkled pumpkin spice
A pumpkin is a cultivar of a squash plant, most commonly of Cucurbita pepo, that is round, with smooth, slightly ribbed skin, and deep yellow to orange coloration. The thick shell contains the seeds and pulp. ~Wikipedia
The entire year seems to be a waiting game for fall harvest.
As leaves turn and the autumn chill settles into mornings, pumpkins are ripening on the vine. We’ve spied them showing color in farm fields over the past two weeks and now they are turning up at markets and local grocers.
While the large, multi shaped pumpkins are great for carving and gorgeous fall front porch displays, the smaller sugar pumpkins are what we use for baking into breads and pies.
Note: Adjust spices to taste.
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 x 3 bread pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat sugar with oil until smooth. Beat in egg one at a time until smooth.
- Stir in pumpkin and flour mixture until well combined.
- Turn into prepared pan and bake 60-65 minutes until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.