Irresistible Jarlsberg® Croquettes and Jarsleberg® Corn Muffins
Reprint from 2016
Out of all the tasks on the “to do list” before family arrives on Easter Sunday, creating the menu is my favorite. I spread many recipes out in front of me and begin pairing appetizers, main dishes and desserts, switching them out several times before the final decision. It’s a simpler process and there are fewer items on the menu if I make sure I’ve eaten beforehand.
The choices are many and I select the centerpiece first and then “accessorize”. Family members bring their own signature dish to the table each year, which counts as one of the paired items. For example, each year one gentleman brings a caramelized onion dip and deviled eggs. I love this. He is like “old faithful”. Always on time, always packing something delicious. The eggs and dip are accessories for the appetizer bar and this year, I am adding two new delicious flavors that I know fam and friends will love.
This year, my new additions are centered around Jarlsberg® Cheese. Naturally gluten and lactose free, it raises the bar for the Easter table. I look forward to bringing these new additions to my family and friends year after year.
Jarlsberg® Cheese is available nationwide in the specialty cheese case in grocery retailers, and comes in pre-sliced packages, or sliced at the deli counter, and is also available in club stores. There is a flavor for every palate:
- Jarlsberg® Cheese, is a mild, semi-soft skim cheese made from cow’s milk, and is famous for its characteristic mild, sweet and nutty taste and its large round holes.
- Jarlsberg® Lite Cheese has the same mild, nutty flavor as regular Jarlsberg® Cheese with 50% less fat and 30% fewer calories, than regular Swiss cheese. This low-fat variety of the original has the characteristic large round holes, with a lower fat content – perfect for those days when you crave the sweet, nutty flavor delights but need to watch your diet.
- Jarlsberg® Hickory Smoked Cheese has a piquant smoky taste, and like most smoked foods has a darker, browner surface. It’s cold smoked over smoldering, hickory chip embers, this Hickory smoked flavor will enhance your cold or hot foods, with its deep, smoky charms.
“Easter is the perfect holiday to welcome everyone to the table, with Jarlsberg® Cheese ideas that are sure to please all ages,” says Deborah Seife, General Manager of Marketing. “Whether it’s Easter brunch or your Easter holiday dinner, Jarlsberg® Cheese will bring a wholesome, delicious taste to whatever you serve.”
Jarlsberg® Corn Muffins
- ½ cup Jarlsberg® Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/3 cups of cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon
- Chopped fresh parsley (1/4 cup)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped cashew nuts
Preheat oven to 425 F. Whisk together eggs and milk. In a separate bowl, mix flour, butter, baking powder and sugar. Combine all ingredients and stir well. Spoon into paper muffin cups. Cut the Jarlsberg® cheese and press down into the center of the mixture in each muffin cup. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve the muffins with the Nut Pesto and enjoy!
- 4 ounces Jarlsberg® Cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups oil
- 10 ounces canned tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- Teaspoon of sugar
- One clove of garlic
- 10 gelatin leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 4 ounces any style ham (cooked)
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon curry
- Cook tomato sauce and set aside, using fresh garlic and tomatoes. Simmer garlic and tomatoes for 20 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Grate the Jarlsberg® Cheese and dice up the ham. Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for 5 minutes. Make a white sauce with butter and flour, cook for about 3 minutes on low heat, and then slowly add in milk. Thicken, by cooking about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the soaked gelatin leaves and then add to the sauce. Stir until smooth. Add the ham, shallots and parsley.
- Pour the entire mixture into a 1-inch-high dish or pan and let sit to cool, about 30 minutes. Then, cut into about 40 slices.
- Set up your assembly line of: eggs, flour and bread crumbs. Dip the pieces and then fry in the oil. If you would like an even crispier treat, dip again and refry. Enjoy!
Enjoy these fresh new recipes for a stunning Easter brunch and a holiday worthy side dish. For more great ideas, tips and information on Jarlsberg® Cheese visit them at www.jarlsbergusa.com and like them on Facebook.
About Jarlsberg® Cheese
In 1956, we created Jarlsberg® Cheese, using an original Norwegian recipe. Why does Jarlsberg® Cheese taste so mild, nutty and delicious? It’s all part of the legend…and Norway’s most guarded recipe! www.jarlsberg.com